- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 4 Green Onions, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon African Bird Pepper or Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Palm Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Tamarind Concentrate
Dal Puri Roti Filling:
- 1 14-Ounce Cans Garbanzo Beans
- 1 Habanero Pepper, Seeded and Minced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Bunch Fresh Culantro
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- About 1 1/2 Cups Water
- Coconut Oil, to Cook
- Prepare the tamarind sauce first. In a skillet, add the coconut oil, green onion, and garlic. Sauté for three minutes, until aromatic. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and pulverize along with the cilantro. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Place all of the ingredients for the filling into a food processor and grind into a rough mash. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, yeast, and salt. Add water and mix together with a spoon until the dough becomes too thick to stir. Use your hands to finish combining the ingredients. Use just enough water to form a ball and knead gently for a few minutes, until smooth. Cover dough with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for at least 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball and then roll into a small circle. Add about 1/10th of the garbanzo mixture and wrap the dough around it, much like you would for a dumpling. Pinch the dough closed, cover once more, and let rest for another hour.
- Place a griddle or large skillet over medium heat and brush liberally with coconut oil. Roll each ball into a flat, thin circle. Place the dough on the skillet and brush the top with more coconut oil. Cook for 1 minute before flipping. Cook for another minute, flip again, and cook for 1 minute longer. Repeat with all the remaining dough.
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. I have experience with all of these companies and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 637mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 8g
All nutritional information presented within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on BitterSweetBlog.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. Even though I try to provide accurate nutritional information to the best of my ability, these figures should still be considered estimations.