Amidst twinkling lights and fluttering tinsel, the sound of carols and jingle bells, the holiday spirit is alive again. The feeling is hard to describe, but impossible to deny when you have it. It’s the tendency towards generosity and kindness, of hope through the darkest of day, and joy for all the little things.
Want to help share the experience with those you love?
The easiest way is with a different sort of spirited gift.
Whiskey Sour Candied Pecans are an intoxicating treat inspired by the classic cocktail. Aromatic and heady, sweet and sour with a subtly bitter edge, buttery yet bright, the simple preparation belies the incredibly complex flavors that develop. This isn’t your average spiced party mix that can be munched mindlessly; each crisp toasted nut delivers a bold infusion of merriment.
In case your spirits are flagging, here’s a foolproof recipe to revive them. Scrooge himself would be powerless against such contagious wintry cheer.
- 2 Cups Raw Pecans
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1/4 Cup Whiskey
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 - 5 Drops Angostura Bitters (Optional)
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 3/4 Teaspoon Flaky or Coarse Salt
- Combine the pecans and vegan butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the butter has melted and the nuts are highly aromatic and golden brown; 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add the whiskey, sugar, and bitters, mixing well to combine. Continue cooking until the sugar has dissolved and any excess liquid has evaporated; 2 - 4 minutes. The nuts should be lightly glazed and evenly coated.
- Transfer the nuts to a piece of parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Separate them to the best of your ability so they don't all harden into one big clump.
- Sprinkle evenly with lemon zest and salt. Let cool completely and enjoy.
Stored in an airtight container, these pecans will keep for up to two weeks at room temperature.
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. I have experience with all of these companies and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
All nutritional information presented within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on BitterSweetBlog.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. Even though I try to provide accurate nutritional information to the best of my ability, these figures should still be considered estimations.