Don’t judge a book by its cover, a person by their clothing, or a dip by its color. The comparison is inevitable so I’ll go ahead and say it: The following recipe, no matter how brilliantly described or lovingly plated, will always and forever look like a glorious mountain of cow plop, steaming away on a hot summer’s afternoon.
Just avert your eyes and dig in. The smoky, spicy, earthy flavor of cocoa mole awaits your taste buds if you can suspend disbelief. Presenting a bold alternative to the ubiquitous green guacamole filling bowls across the country for Super Bowl festivities, it won’t score any points for presentation, but may just win the snacking game.
When guacamole meets mole, the results may not be pretty, but the flavor is out of this word. This creamy, smoky, spicy, and earthy mashup will tempt you to double (or triple) dip.
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground White pepper
- 2 Avocados
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Small Heirloom or Medium Roma Tomato, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, Minced
- 2 Scallions, Thinly Sliced
- Combine the cocoa, spices, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Pit, dice and scoop the avocado flesh out, adding it to the bowl along with the lime juice. Very roughly mash with a fork, incorporating all of the dry ingredients but keeping the texture rather chunky.
- Mix in the tomato, garlic, cilantro, and scallions last, stirring until the vegetables and herbs are equally distributed throughout the dip.
- Serve with chips or cut vegetable crudites.
Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
3 thoughts on “Unholy Guacamole”
[…] than most conventional deities? I don’t really need to suggest a celebratory round of guacamole, as if it wasn’t the most serving suggestion in the book? Besides, you have a whole separate […]
[…] Sliced avocado or guacamole […]
[…] resting place is this delicious. You could pipe “RIP” onto the tombstones with smooth guaca-mole, but I prefer to keep it simple and […]