Don’t judge a book by its cover, a person by their clothing, or a dip by its color. The comparison is inevitable so I’ll go ahead and say it: The following recipe, no matter how brilliantly described or lovingly plated, will always and forever look like a glorious mountain of cow plop, steaming away on a hot summer’s afternoon.
Just avert your eyes and dig in. The smoky, spicy, earthy flavor of cocoa mole awaits your taste buds if you can suspend disbelief. Presenting a bold alternative to the ubiquitous green guacamole filling bowls across the country for Super Bowl festivities, it won’t score any points for presentation, but may just win the snacking game.
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground White pepper
- 2 Avocados
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Small Heirloom or Medium Roma Tomato, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, Minced
- 2 Scallions, Thinly Sliced
- Combine the cocoa, spices, and salt in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Pit, dice and scoop the avocado flesh out, adding it to the bowl along with the lime juice. Very roughly mash with a fork, incorporating all of the dry ingredients but keeping the texture rather chunky.
- Mix in the tomato, garlic, cilantro, and scallions last, stirring until the vegetables and herbs are equally distributed throughout the dip.
- Serve with chips or cut vegetable crudites.
Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g