What, I ask you, could be a more welcoming sight in the morning than luscious vegan waffles, with their deep indentations just waiting to overflow with golden maple syrup?
… Yeah, that’s what I thought.
My sister just came home from college this past weekend, and I wanted to do something special for her arrival. I know that she loves frozen waffles for breakfast, but those trans-fatty, prepackaged store brands really gross me out. A lot of what she eats honestly disturbs me! We even had a conversation about how you could possibly make macaroni and cheese that isn’t from a box, let alone vegan. Perhaps I could help her eat some real food, at least while she’s home?
These are wonderful to make when you get a spare moment, easily frozen and then defrosted in a snap to create satisfying breakfasts all week long. I still plan on experimenting and tweaking a few things, because they were slightly denser than what my sister had grown accustomed to, but these are still damned good waffles.
- 3 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 1/2 Cups Plain Non-Dairy Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- It's really a very simple procedure to make lovely, puffy waffles. Begin by heating up your waffle iron so it's ready to receive batter. Combine all the dry ingredients, and add in the wet. Stir to incorporate, but don't over do it; a few lumps are just fine!
- Once your iron is nice and hot, lightly grease with cooking spray and ladle a healthy portion of batter on top. It really depends on the size of your waffle iron, so don't be discouraged if your first couple are a little bit funny looking. Cook for about 4-6 minutes or so, and serve hot. If, however you'd like to save them for later like I do, allow them to cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack. Wrap them up in a clean plastic bag, and just throw them in the freezer!
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Serve hot, with any sort of sweet or savory toppings your heart desires.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 9gSugar: 10gProtein: 14g