There’s no accounting for midnight cravings. In the dark of night, after all reasonable people have long since retired to their beds, strange things can happen in an unguarded kitchen. It’s a crime of opportunity, based as much on cravings as availability; the resulting creations are a whole different sort of guilty pleasure. Guided by a vague desire for something savory, restricted to the contents of a poorly managed pantry, there’s no telling what Frankenstein foods could be wrought from the scraps.
Originally devised by those same conditions in a faraway land, the medianoche literally translates to “midnight,” and is so named for its popularity in Havana’s night clubs, served sometime around the witching hour. Similar to a Cuban sandwich, it traditionally layers various forms of pork, mustard, Swiss cheese, sweet pickles on bread; all staples you could easily dig out of a mostly bare kitchen on a whim.
Granted, I’m not exactly out late partying when this nighttime hunger gnaws away at my stomach. Quietly shuffling around in my pajamas, I’d much rather pile all those goodies into a bowl than try to manage a handheld stack. Uncoordinated in my finest hours, my ability to eat neatly declines precipitously with every passing hour. Sandwich fillings would stay between the bread for approximately 2.5 seconds before ejecting unceremoniously onto the floor at that rate.
That’s why the concept of a bread salad is so ingenious. It’s the full sandwich experience that you can eat with a fork, no muss, no fuss, and no judgement. Perhaps the contents are still a bit unconventional, but this is one crazy concoction I wouldn’t hesitate to share in the light of day.
Turning the classic midnight sandwich into a salad is a snap! Crisply toasted bread is tossed together with meatless franks instead of ham, along with sweet pickles. vegan cheese, and a tangy mustard dressing. You'll want to eat this new rendition at all hours of the day.
- 2 Hoagie Rolls, Cut into 1-Inch Cubes
- 2 Meatless Hotdogs, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Bread and Butter Pickles
- 4 Vegan Swiss Cheese Slices, Chopped, or 1/2 Cup Shredded Vegan Mozzarella
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- Spread the cubed hoagie rolls out on a small baking sheet and either toast in a counter top oven until golden, or bake in a traditional oven at 375 degrees for about 6 - 10 minutes. Keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't burn. Let cool.
- Toss the cooled bread into a large bowl along with the diced hot dogs, pickles, and cheese.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir until smooth and pour all over the salad ingredients.
- Toss well to combine. Serve immediately.
If celiac, use gluten-free hot dog buns instead of hoagie rolls.
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. I have experience with all of these companies and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1380Total Fat: 106gSaturated Fat: 52gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 43gCholesterol: 260mgSodium: 1934mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 76g
All nutritional information presented within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on BitterSweetBlog.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. Even though I try to provide accurate nutritional information to the best of my ability, these figures should still be considered estimates.
2 thoughts on “Midnight Cravings”
Oooh I am just about to go get my lunch Hannah and this mouth watering looking recipe has made me more hungry… So off to get something to eat…
Hope you are well my lovely friend, and sending love and well wishes your way… Much love <3 and Hugs <3
Oh wow, this looks amazing and such a fun party dish for summer. Thanks!