“Mmm, raw broccoli, my favorite!” …said no one, ever.
Despite being well aware of this and sharing the general sentiment myself, still I set forth mowing down a crown of fresh, green, utterly uncooked broccoli with aplomb. Sometimes you’ve gotta go with your gut, and mine was telling me to embrace the grassier, fresher side of this ubiquitous staple. Something about the crunch, the more herbaceous, slightly pungent bite was calling to me.
Pairing that assertive flavor with an equally bold, punchy dressing was necessary. Hot, peppery mustard, bearing a subtle burn right in the back of the throat, kicking the sinuses like a good dose of horseradish, would do just the trick. Taming the flame with the sweet contrast of maple syrup and chewy morsels of dates brought everything back into satisfying harmony.
Fold in some crisp pieces of smoky meatless bacon, nutty toasted pepitas, and a little extra pepper for good measure, and you’ll start craving the raw cruciferous vegetable too.
- 1 Small Crown Broccoli, Roughly Chopped (About 4 Cups)
- 5 Deglet Noor Dates, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Pepitas, Toasted (Hulled Pumpkin Seeds)
- 4 Strips Vegan Bacon, Cooked and Chopped, or About 1/4 Cup Vegan Bacon Bits
- 2 Scallions, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sharp English Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Simply prep all ingredients and toss together in a large bowl until well combined and thoroughly coated in dressing and spices. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
The salad can be prepared up to 2 days in advance. Store in an airtight container in the fridge, and leave the bacon out until just prior to serving to keep it crisp.
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. I have experience with all of these companies and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 510mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 10g