Chill out. Strawberries might sound like an unconventional addition to the classic red tomato gazpacho, but they’re nothing to lose your cool over.
Given a surplus of the highly perishable rubies and an oppressive heatwave to contend with, my tastes quickly skewed toward the fast, easy, and refreshing side. Gazpacho must always be on hand for days like this; it was a natural, perhaps inevitable combination.
Balancing sweetness with savory undertones, the subtle bite of vinegar, and fresh verdant pop of basil, it’s a delicious study in contrasts. Don’t let the fruity feature scare you off! It’s not a vegetable-forward smoothie, but you may still want to drink it straight from the blender.
- 4 Cups Hulled and Diced Strawberries
- 1 Medium Cucumber, Peeled and Seeded if Desired
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Seeded and Diced
- 1 8-Ounce Can Tomato Sauce or Puree
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion, Diced
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Roughly Chopped Pistachios, Additional Sliced Cucumbers, Strawberries, and Basil for Garnish (Optional)
- In a blender, combine the berries and vegetables, along with the basil, salt, crushed red pepper, and vinegar. Blend on high speed, until thoroughly pureed.
- With the motor running, slowly stream in the oil. Once smooth and fully incorporated, transfer to the fridge and chill until ice cold; 1 - 3 hours.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, if needed. Top bowls with pistachios, berries, cucumber, and basil, if desired.
Gazpacho will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 - 4 days.
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. I have experience with all of these companies and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 645mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 7g
All nutritional information presented within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on BitterSweetBlog.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. Even though I try to provide accurate nutritional information to the best of my ability, these figures should still be considered estimates.