Stay healthy. Take care. Be well.
These common refrains are easier said than done right now, and naturally, everyone’s looking for that magic bullet to protect themselves against illness. As with life, it’s about how the little things add up, rather than one big thing that will make all the difference. Elderberries offer an easy first step towards a stronger immune system, critical even when not facing a global pandemic. Studies have shown promising results in protection against bacterial and viral infections, reducing the symptoms and duration of a cold, easing symptoms of allergies, and that’s to say nothing of their impressive antioxidant and vitamin A load.
Both the flowers and berries have a long tradition of culinary and folk medicinal uses going back thousands of years. In fact, Hippocrates (often called the father of medicine) referred to the elderberry as a “medicine chest,” thanks to the seemingly endless benefits and applications. The stem, bark, leaves, flowers, berries, and root extracts of the plant have all been instrumental in historical recipes, dating all the way back to Ancient Egypt.
There’s is a catch, of course. Raw, fresh, or dried, elderberries are not exactly a treat to eat. They’re rather tart at best, bitter and astringent at worst; not something you’d want to snack on out of hand, like blueberries. Of course, they have more than twice the natural antioxidant capacity of their blue brethren, but need a bit of help in the flavor department. Sambucol Black Elderberry Gummies take care of that shortcoming by concentrating that nutritional potency into soft, bite-sized chews, sweetened only with pure cane sugar. Pectin, rather than gelatin, gives them their plant-based bounce, to the delight of children and adults alike. Make no mistake, these aren’t candy, but potent supplements wrapped up in a highly appealing package.
Enticing right out of the bottle, gleaming like faceted purple gems, it’s not a struggle to get your daily dose. However, they also offer ample opportunities for some healthy experimentation.
Thumbprint cookies, typically crowned with a dollop of humble fruit preserves get a superfood upgrade thanks to Sambucol. Softening into a jammy nugget within the gentle slope of a hearty oat and almond butter base, you might forget that such tasty treats are actually powerful immunity boosters.
Comfort food and health food don’t need to be mutually exclusive when armed with naturally delicious nourishment. Consider these simple morsels your secret weapon against the midday slump, and well beyond.
- 1/2 Cup Quick Oats
- 1/2 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, or All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 Cup Almond Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 10 - 12 Sambucol Black Elderberry Gummies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a cookies sheet with a silicone baking mat or piece of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and flour. Seperately, beat together the apple sauce, almond butter, olive oil and sugar. Once smooth, add the liquid ingredients into the dry, along with the flaxseeds, cinnamon, and salt.
- Use a wide spatula to combine. The batter with be very thick and stiff, so you may want to get in there with you hands if it becomes too difficult to stir.
- Scoop out walnut-sized balls of dough and roll them between your hands until smooth. Place them on your prepared baking sheet, spaced about an inch apart. Press one gummy firmly into the center of each.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until firm on the outside but still soft on the inside. Be careful not to over-bake!
- Let rest on the sheet until fully cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 - 5 days.
To substitute old-fashioned rolled oats, simply place them in your food processor and pulse a few times to break down the flakes into smaller pieces.
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. I have experience with all of these companies and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 55mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
All nutritional information presented within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on BitterSweetBlog.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. Even though I try to provide accurate nutritional information to the best of my ability, these figures should still be considered estimations.
This review was made possible as a collaboration with Moms Meet and Sambucol. My opinions can not be bought and all content is original. This page may contain affiliate links; thank you for supporting my blog!