How typical; I find something I like, and I’m nothing short of obsessed. Now, while I had never had much of a penchant for chilled soups before, I’m suddenly overcome with the desire to whip up batch after batch of cool, savory blends. Rather than fight the urge, I’m riding this wave out, seeing where it might take me. So far, it’s been a rather delicious journey.
The myriad of new seasonal veggies have proven too tempting to leave at the market, and everything from the baby sprouts pushing through the dirt and the tiny buds developing on trees seems to scream “green!” to me, and so green has been the inspiration behind many recent meals. Although leafy greens would be a natural though, I decided to leave them for salads this time, and create a wholly different sort of green soup.
Avocados, peas, and roasted asparagus join forces in this emerald mix. Not entirely smooth but with a satisfying bit of texture, this refreshing soup is another utterly simple recipe, and should spring decide to pull another cold snap over us, could happily be warmed up if desired.
- 1 Pound Fresh Asparagus
- 3 Medium Shallots
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Green Peas
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 2 Fresh or Dried and Re-Hydrated Shiitake Mushrooms
- Handful Fresh Parsley (About 1/4 Cup)
- Olive Oil for Garnish (Optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus, and spread them out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Peel the garlic and shallots, and slice the shallots in half. Place them on the sheet as well. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with just a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, until the asparagus are bright green and tender. Let cool.
- To complete the soup, toss everything else into your blender, along with the asparagus, and allow it to spin until mostly smooth, but definitely not pureed. Chill briefly if necessary, and top individual servings with just a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 73mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 6g Protein: 6g