With enough creativity, anything can be a taco. Beyond hard or soft shells, salads and bowls, the satisfying spices and resounding crunch can be translated in any edible medium. That’s why I’m going for a much bolder base to celebrate National Taco Day on October 4th. Taco jalapeño poppers could just change this beloved Tex-Mex snack.
Typical jalapeño poppers are a bit boring for my tastes. Stuffed with plain cream cheese before being battered and fried, they’re tasty enough with a beer or two, but nothing to write home about. Take it to the next level with Hodo’s Mexican Crumbles to make an instant taco filling, perfect for stuffing into these peppery shells. This high-protein staple is ready to eat right out of the package, infused with chipotles, oregano, and a squeeze of lime, so all the hard work is done for you.
Bringing the taco theme home, finely crushed tortilla chips replace bland breadcrumbs for an extra crispy, lightly salted, and perfectly corny bite. You get all the best parts of a crunchy taco in one killer app, ideal for a party or midnight cravings.
Considering how decadent and crave-worthy they taste, it might be hard to stop at a single serving. Go ahead, indulge!
These poppers have the edge on the nutritional competition for many reasons:
- Air fried, not deep-fried. The only fat here comes from the cheese, not frying oil.
- Dairy-free cheese means zero cholesterol.
- Plant protein. One package of Hodo Mexican Crumbles alone has over 45 gram of protein!
- Full of fiber. Try to find another game day snack that can actually keep you satisfied from kickoff to overtime.
In fact, the versatility of this recipe goes well beyond the opening act.
You can make it the main event by pairing with any of the following serving suggestions:
- Plain or seasoned rice
- Pinto beans, black beans, or refried beans
- Green salad or cabbage slaw
- Tortilla chips and salsa or guacamole
- Elote or esquites
Jalapeño poppers are a relatively new phenomenon, appearing on menus only a few decades ago in the early 90s. It’s not too late to redefine the dish with new flair and brighter flavors. Take inspiration from beefy meatless tacos to get the party started.