Delicious, nutritious, and an illicit narcotic? Poppy seeds are an excellent source of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and several essential minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc, to say nothing of the morphine residue that may remaining after harvesting from opium poppies.
Yes, opium which is also an excellent source of heroin, morphine, and codeine. While it’s true that an “overdose” may genuinely make you fail a drug test, the seeds themselves contain none of the potent drug. No need to lock your spice rack at night or keep a surveillance camera on your baking supplies; while a junkie might be sorely disappointed, I’d say that the flavor they offer is still powerfully addictive.
Nut and seed blends are gaining traction in the non-dairy aisle, but no one seems to appreciate the power of the poppy seed. This could be said across the board, however, as poor, misunderstood poppy seeds rarely get top billing in any dish. Every bit as capable of creating a creamy, dreamy, dairy-free drink, their subtle nutty flavor bears intoxicating nuances of both sweet and savory notes in every sip.
Toast them to enhance that elusive, rarely touted taste, or keep it simple with a more subtle, straightforward blitz. A mixture of oats and almonds lend a richness and body that could rival anything fresh off the farm.
If you can resist the urge to lift the entire blender right to your lips to gulp down the entire milky amalgamation as is, it happens to make a brilliant creamer for iced coffee, too. Don’t say I didn’t warn you when poppy seed lattes become the next big trend in a month… It really is an addictive drink.
- 1/2 Cup Poppy Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/4 Cup Whole Raw Almonds
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Almond Extract (Optional)
- Place the poppy seeds, oats, almonds, 3 cups of water, coconut sugar, and almond extract (if using) in your blender. A high-speed blender is ideal, but any model can work if you're a bit more patient when it comes time to blend.
- Make sure the lid is firmly secured and blend on high speed for at least 5 minutes, or closer to 10 if your equipment isn't the most robust.
- Add the remaining cup of water if you prefer a lighter milk for drinking or using over cereal; keep as is for use in coffee or pairing with fresh fruits.
- Strain through a nut milk bag and refrigerate. Enjoy thoroughly chilled.
Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 - 7 days.
PRO QUALITY NUT MILK BAG - 12"X12" COMMERCIAL GRADE REUSABLE - ALL PURPOSE FOOD STRAINER - Nutmilk, Juicing, Coffees - Ultra Fine Mesh Nylon Cheese Cloth - Food Grade BPA-Free - Free Recipes & Videos
Spanish Poppy Seeds for Baking by Food to Live, Kosher, Bulk, Product of Spain - 1 Pound
Vitamix 5200 Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Container, Black
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. I have experience with all of these companies and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 12mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 7g Protein: 5g